Group Rider Training - 8th August - 09:00 onwards
Following the popularity of the sessions held in 2019, the club will again be hosting a skills development session this year to help riders build their general cycling and group riding skills and confidence.
Where will the session take place?
The session will be run at the purpose-built Hillingdon Cycle Circuit, Springfield Road, Hayes, UB4 0LP. At just under a mile long and almost 20 feet wide, the traffic-free circuit is a safe and unthreatening environment to hone your skills.
When is it?
- Sunday 8th August 2021
- 09:30 to mid/late afternoon. We will firm up timings in the next few weeks once the lesson plans have been finalised.
- Riders may arrive from 09:00 to get ready and have a cup of tea or coffee before we start.
Who are the coaches?
- Kylie Grant, who is a Level 2 British Cycling qualified coach
- Jonathan Smith, who has more years’ cycling experience than we care to count
- Additional experienced ride leaders will provide support
Who is the session aimed at?
This is a skills development session, and all club members are welcome to attend. For those less experienced, we will start with the basics and support you to develop the confidence to practice any techniques you might be nervous about. For those more experienced, we can provide more advanced progressions.
What will the session cover?
- Bike check
- Shifting weight, taking hands off bars, moving hands between hoods and drops, standing out of the saddle
- Leading, following and changing position in a group
- Riding surrounded by other riders (such as in a sportive)
- Riding in contact with another rider
- Riding slowly and the ready position
- Gear selection
- Pedalling technique
- Nutrition and hydration
- Aerodynamics and other tips for riding efficiently
- There is a lockable room where backpacks and extra kit can be left and accessed if needed
- There are toilets and change rooms onsite
- Tea, coffee and light snacks will be provided. BYO lunch.
There are a few spaces in front of the circuit. If those are full, you can park along the road leading up to the circuit.
We will be following government and venue guidance to keep everyone COVID safe throughout the session. You must not attend the session if you have symptoms of COVID.
£10 per member